End of Employment

ISFS must be notified when a foreign national employee or visitor has ended his or her employment or stay.  Completing the Departure Notification form and submitting it to ISFS allows our office to take appropriate actions according to your visa status.  If you are ending your employment or stay, you may or may not have a grace period. Be sure to check on this with ISFS.
J-1 Exchange Visitors and Student Interns
Upon completion of your program, you must depart the US. within 30 days of your DS-2019 end date. If you complete your program more than 30 days prior to your DS-2019 end date, notify ISFS immediately.
  • All J-1 visitors (scholars, professors, and student interns), before completing their program, must submit a Departure Notification .
  • All J-1 Student Interns need to complete an internship evaluation and return it to ISFS. If your internship is more than 6 months, you also need to complete a mid-term evaluation form.

H-1B Employees
The USCIS requires employers to notify them when a foreign national has left their employ.  Upon notification by ISFS, USCIS will then revoke the H-1B so that it can no longer be used.  Additionally, ISFS will withdraw the Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the Department of Labor. 
Once employment is terminated, you no longer have an immigration status. There is not a grace period during which you may remain in the country. If your termination occurs before your H-1B expires, you cannot stay in the U.S. as an H-1B for the remaining time as shown on your I-797 approval notice.  You must immediately depart the U.S. or seek another immigration status.